Lithium chloride does not precipitate tRNA, and is less efficient for RNA smaller than
300 nucleotides. It is also less efficient in removing DNA compared to
acid phenol:chloroform extraction.
1. Add equal volume of 7.5 M LiCl to a solution containing RNA.
2. Mix and precipitate at -20 °C for at least 30 minutes.
3. Centrifuge at maximum speed for 10 minutes in a microcentrifuge.
4. Carefully remove supernatant. Wash the pellet with 70% ethanol.
5. Carefully remove supernatant. Air dry and resuspend in a suitable
buffer. Store at -20 °C or -80 °C.