Gram-positive organisms will be stained blue/black, Gram-negative
organisms and nuclei will be stained red.
1. Prepare Crystal violet stain, Weigerts iodine and 0.1% Nuclear fast red:
|Crystal violet|| 2 g|
|95% Alcohol|| 20 ml|
|Ammonium oxalate|| 0.8 g|
|ddH2O || 80 ml|
2. Take sections to water.
3. Stain in filtered crystal violet for 2 minutes.
4. Rinse in tap water briefly.
5. Stain in Weigerts iodine for 2 minutes
6. Rinse in tap water briefly.
7. Differentiate in acetone briefly until the section is
8. Rinse briefly in tap water.
9. Counterstain in 0.1% nuclear fast red for 3 minutes.
10. Wash for 3 seconds in tap water.
11. Dehydrate, clear. Mount sections in DPX