1. Make egg collecting plates:
ddH2 to 1 liter
Autoclave and add 0.33 ml of 10% Tegosept in 95% ethanol.
Pour 35 mm plates using the plate covers
or 100 mm plates (using both top and bottom).
2. Smear collecting plates with a thin layer of yeast paste.
3. If using a bottle, pool flies from 2-3 bottles to an empty
bottle without food. Cover the bottle with 35 mm collecting plates.
Secure with tape.
If using a cage, place the plates with yeast inside the cage.
4. Position the bottle inverted in a quiet place.
5. Collecting eggs for 30 minutes to a couple of hours.
6. Rinse the eggs off the plate with water into a mesh (e.g., cheesecloth)
positioned on top of a funnel.
7. Rinse away the yeast paste.
8. Transfer eggs with a fine paintbrush.