1. Hoechst Dye is frequently used for staining nuclei.
2. Wash and harvest cells.
3. Fix cells. For example, mammalian cells can be fixed in 4% PBS
buffered paraformaldehyde. Yeast cells may be fixed in 70% ethanol
(and sonicate for 5 seconds).
4. Wash cells with PBS.
5. Stain cells in 0.1-1 mg/ml of Hoechst in PBS
for 20 minutes to 2 hours.
6. Wash cells with PBS.
7. Mount, seal with nail polish and keep in dark before viewing under
a fluorescence microscope.
8. Hoechst 33342 can be used to stain live cells.